The Council’s Zoning Committee has a lengthy 15-page agenda ahead of today’s meeting, but most items are for small development projects, mainly the construction of single family homes or multiunit flats. A few big ticket items are listed on the deferred agenda, including several applications that received approval from the Plan Commission last week and in May.
- Ald. Proco Joe Moreno (1) has an application to modestly downzone a strip along North Milwaukee Avenue and Damen Avenue, a block away from the Damen Avenue stop on the CTA’s Blue Line. The change is from a B3-2 Community Shopping District to a B1-1 Neighborhood Shopping District. A B3-2 allows for destination oriented shopping, while a B1-1 allows for small scale retail. There are several bars and retail stores along the strip he’s seeking to downzone, including Double Door (in court today regarding its eviction) and Byline Bank. (Address: 1570-72 N Milwaukee Ave; 1551-59 N Damen Ave)
- Ald. Pat Dowell (3) has an application to upzone a vacant lot at the corner of South Calumet Avenue from a M1-3 Limited Manufacturing/Business Park District to a RM-5 Multi-Unit District, which is predominantly for three-to-four flat homes. The current zoning designation, manufacturing, doesn’t permit residential as of right, but the neighboring lots have homes. (Address: 3911-3915 S Calumet)
- Ald. Gilbert Villegas (36) has an application to rezone a CVS and adjacent vacant parcel of property from a B3-1 Community Shopping District to a RS2 Residential Single-Unit district, which is the zoning for single family homes. (Address: 3633-59 N Central Ave)
- Ald. Brendan Reilly (42) has an application to sunset a Business Residential Waterway Planned Development (#709) to a DC-16 Downtown Core District at 330 North Clark Street, which is currently a surface parking lot.
- Ald. Marty Quinn (13) – This application is on the deferred agenda, and it makes a fairly modest zoning change for 5652-54 West 64th Place. Ald. Quinn wants to make a change from a RS3 Residential Single-Unit (Detached House) District to an RS2 Residential Single-Unit (Detached House). Both allow for single family use.